Thursday, April 28, 2011

From the forests of Finland


When I got out of the airplane in Helsinki the wheather decided to celebrate my arrival with sunshine,
and roads that recently dried after being covered a long winter in snow. Something that might sound not so extra-ordinary but is, for sure, a sign of spring.

I know many others did what we did before, and I know some people spend their whole lifes travelling around. So maybe I am a bit ashamed of my feelings in a way, but I choose not to care. My whole beeing was filled with happiness as I took my first steps on Finnish ground. I smiled like a jerk when I saw the first signs written in Finnish and Swedish and something inside me exploded when I felt the first familiar smells of the well-known.

I'm happy to hear from Simi and a bit, I must say, jealous of her experiences.
Home is, for better or worse, what it always been. I got a job. I read a lot of books.
Neoliberalism, the politics of Finland and history of social work in Scandinavia fill my mind with word-tornados. Quite the opposite of what Simi just went through. If I allow myself a guess on how it's been and what an opposite may be.

Like I told her: Coming home for some reasons feel like a lot of things to figure out. I just don't know what those things are or what I will find when I figure them out.
Every now and then I have to stop what I'm doing to catch some of those thaughts.
I guess I'm missing it a bit. The whole thing. Travelling, India, Indians, the chaos the freedom.

And I guess It'll never stop. Like with everything you do in life. Every chapter you finnish.

It will take some time. But I know reality will get me back sooner or later. Hopefully.
Like today.  Just because this is something I haven't done in a long time. I have some bread to bake.


No comments:

Post a Comment