Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Vipassana

A 10 day long meditation course, that is actually way more than just a simple course. The rules are very strict: Noble silence at all times (that means no form of communication except talking to the teacher), no books, or music, or writing. Getting up at 4 am and meditating about 10 hours a day, thes a teacher's discourse and bedtime at 9 pm. No proper food after 12 o'clock (only fruits).
Sounds horrible. And intensive. And it was very hard, the first 3 days, and it was intensive, and it was an experience I don't want to miss. I find it hard to put in words what I felt in those 10 days, maybe I need some more time to digest, as it ended just a few hours ago. It was definitely one of the hardest things I've done in my life - so far.

The purpose of the course is to purify the mind, even though you obviously don't achieve this goal in 10 days. Only if you practise every day, you can take more than just this one step on the long path, that, eventually, leads to enlightenment. At least, this is what Buddha said. It is his technique, even though the course doesn't really have anything to do with religion - It's only about the mediation.

By concentrating on the sensations you feel on your body, and not rreacting to it, you strengthen, sharpen your mind and get out of your miseries. You learn to get out of being so emotional about everything, and to be so dependend on the outside world. Because real happiness comes from within, from yourself and nowhere else.

A short try to summarize the technique. But there's so much more behind it. It changed something in me. And now it's up to me to make something out of it. I don't know what it is going to be.

So good, so far. And now, back to the real world. Tonoiight I am staying with the assistant teacher of the course, Suman, and her family. One last time real Indian life. Family life. And tomorrow off to Kathmandu, to the final part.

No comments:

Post a Comment